How to reconcile the 5v circuit with the 12v circuit?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

meideolian

How to reconcile the 5v circuit with the 12v circuit?

Post by meideolian »

I am just getting started in electronics and, for a bit of background, have managed to put together a few simple projects based on well documented examples:
  • intervalometer based on 555 timer
    arduino-based home climate sensor network with web server (not from kit)
Now I would like to combine two existing commercial products but I am a little lost about how to combine the two circuits without any reference circuit, so I need a kick in the right direction. I have a really dark stairway with no lighting (and I'm only renting) so I have a few battery operated motion sensor lights there. The batteries recently died in all of them. They only last a few months on 3xAAAs, and they are not bright enough in the first place. I also have a set of 12v LED strips with an AC adapter. I want to join them together so that either motion sensor at the top or bottom of the stairs can trigger all of the LED strips. The strips will stay lit only for the duration of the motion sensors' onboard timers (10 or 60sec selectable).

The LED light strips:
The LED light strip comes in two 16" pieces and is powered by a single 12v AC-DC adapter rated to 800mA. I measured 330mA for the combined strips and verified about 165mA with just one LED strip in operation.
The PIR motion sensors:
The PIR motion sensors (pictured here) are usually powered by 3xAAA and drive a package of 3 LEDs. When I removed the battery assembly and replaced it with an Arduino's 5v, I measured 63mA when the original 3xLED package was lit, and also saw a 1.7v drop across the LED pack's terminals. It also has a daylight sensor that shuts down the unit when there is too much ambient light.

The combined circuit:
This is the schematic I have so far, with just the main components. The general idea is that either of the PIR motion sensors can send a 5v signal to an OR logic gate, which will tickle two transistors that will allow 12v and 170mA into each LED strip. I haven't worked out all the currents to see if I need some additional components like resistors and diodes for protection, so the circuit may look a little bare right now. Before I get into that I'd like to confirm that I'm generally heading in the right direction.

The first big problem I have is how to reconcile the 5v circuit with the 12v circuit. I want to get rid of batteries, so I'll just have the 12v wall wart supplying the whole circuit. My first thought is to use a 7805 voltage regulator even though I have to drop 7v, because there won't be any significant load (2x PIR boards, 1x 74HC32, 2x 2N3904, and no LEDs) and it will be on a short duration timer.

The questions:
  • Is the 7805 the right approach or is there a more typical/efficient way to get to 5v logic levels from a 12v source?

Do I need protection diodes on the ground side of the 5v stuff, because I have 5v and 12v potential meeting at a common ground?

If the PIR sensors provide a 5v output when triggered, is that all I need to care about as input to the OR gate, or do I need to worry about stuff response time, current, etc?

Can the single output from my 74HC32 activate both transistors? I'm not really sure how to work this out, I just know that the combined light strips in series (330mA) would overwhelm a single 2N3904 so I thought I should have two transistors and run the separated LED strips in parallel. I got a little overwhelmed trying to find a way to choose the right transistor for my application and instead worked backwards based on the few I types I had on hand. all I had were 2N3904, 3906 and some 2222s that I forgot I had. I was a little impatient and have a RadioShack across the street so I picked up a TIP31 power transistor, good for 3A (see datasheet: http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf8827/TIP31A.pdf). I think I'll stock up on some logic level MOSFETs so I have those on hand in the future.
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to reconcile the 5v circuit with the 12v circuit?

Post by norman40 »

Hi,

This forum is intended for students, parents, and teachers working on K-12 science projects. If your question is related to a science project, please post some details such as your hypothesis, research question or experimental plan. If you are looking for help with homework or general science discussions there are other sites that should be able to answer your question.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”