Testing for methanol

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

deleted-580584

Testing for methanol

Post by deleted-580584 »

What is an easy way to test for methanol? This is actually for an economics project but I'm marketing all natural bath bombs but am having a hard time dissolving all the pigment in just water. I am trying to dissolve it in methanol/water mixture but I need to test the methanol levels after the pigment is dissolved.
deleted-580584

Dissolving Pigment

Post by deleted-580584 »

I am doing a project making bathbombs and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on dissolving pigments besides alcohol? like maybe propylene glycol or polysorbate 60? Thank you!

Moderator note: Your two posts look like they are about the same project. Please follow the Science Buddies posting guidelines and keep posts on the same topic together so the experts who help you can see all of your posts. Thank you.
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Testing for methanol

Post by norman40 »

Hi George138,

This forum is intended for students, parents, and teachers working on K-12 science projects. If your question is related to a science project, please post some details such as your hypothesis, research question or experimental plan. If you are looking for help with homework or general science discussions there are other sites that should be able to answer your question.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”