Senior physics confusion

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

joliax

Senior physics confusion

Post by joliax »

I am doing a project on blood spatter. I need to construct a hypothesis and come up with the independent and dependent variables before i can do anything. In order to do that i have to write a research question which im having SO much trouble with. I asked my teacher what are the independent and dependent variables for this project and he told me to google it which i cannot find any answer. I need help with all these starter questions so i can work on it. I dont even know what i should be testing... like i just need some sort of direction. work is due by march 25th !!! im doing the project that is on science buddies called blood spatter CSI help answer all these questions please.
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Senior physics confusion

Post by norman40 »

Hi,

I'm assuming that you're working on the project described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... od#summary

You might want to review the information about variables and constructing a hypothesis at these links:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... /variables

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... hypothesis

An independent variable is something that you change in your experiment to observe a response in a dependent variable. Take a close look at the “procedure” section of the “CSI” project. What's being measured about the splatter droplets? That's the dependent variable. And what's changed from one test to the next? That's the independent variable.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
joliax

Post by joliax »

thank you ! ive looked at the links but Im kind of slow. I have a 504 plans but my teacher refuses to scaffold the project for me . im still a bit confused since my counselor told me the dependent is the one that actually changes
joliax

Post by joliax »

sigh im so sorry i just took another look at the procedure , i dont get it like i just dont understand whats being measured. it says measure the angle of impact but how to base my hypothesis around that and my research question? im just worried i wont graduate because no one in my school is actually helping me. thanks
norman40
Former Expert

Post by norman40 »

Hello,

You're on the right track. In this experiment you measure the angle of impact of the splatter droplets. To get to the angle you must measure the length and width of the spatter as shown in the procedure. This may be a bit confusing but it's the angle that you care about because the angle indicates the direction from which the spatter originated. And the angle of impact is the dependent variable in this experiment.

Changing the point from which the spatter originates should result in a different angle of impact. And the procedure directs you to try the experiment with the sponge/fake blood in different locations. The sponge/fake blood location is the independent variable in the experiment. When you change the location you expect to observe a response in the angle of impact.

Your hypothesis should indicate that you expect the angle of impact to change when the splatter point of origin changes.

A. Norman
joliax

Post by joliax »

thank you so much!
joliax

Post by joliax »

I just attempted the project and i have no friggin idea whats going on at the moment. so basically i hit the sponge with the hammer as directed and there was really no spatter on the walls. Only on the paper directly below the sponge. i removed the sponge and recorded observations as directed.. there is no angle whatsoever and im so confused atm . i still dont know what to write for my research question using the hypothesis. due date is the 25th the entire project including all these crazy checkpoints my teacher expects. apparently this project is worth 70% of my grade so if i dont pass it i have to stay another year so please help once again. You really did get me started but once again im lost
norman40
Former Expert

Post by norman40 »

Hi joliax,

Have you tried experimenting with the amount of simulated blood you used to moisten the sponge? You might try again with more and with less simulated blood on the sponge to see what amount gives the best spatter pattern on the walls.

A research question for this project might address how blood spatter measurements might be used to predict the point of origin of the blood.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”