Will rust affect the performance of a galvanic battery/voltaic pile?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

CyrusVasq

Will rust affect the performance of a galvanic battery/voltaic pile?

Post by CyrusVasq »

Will rust affect the voltage given off by the galvanic battery/voltaic pile? I will use a Philippine 25-centavo coin to act as the cathode which is brass coated steel. For the anode, I will use an aluminum from a soda can. For the electrolyte, I will use a water-salt solution. I will also provide a diagram for the voltaic pile. I hope that I can get replies as soon as possible, thank you! :D
Voltaic diagram.pdf
Here is the diagram
(186.16 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Will rust affect the performance of a galvanic battery/voltaic pile?

Post by norman40 »

Hi CyrusVasq,

Corrosion on the electrodes of your galvanic cell may reduce the voltage output. This is because electrode corrosion can interfere with the electrochemical reactions that produce current in the cell. You might want to try cleaning your coin and soda can with an abrasive (fine sandpaper) or white vinegar before making your cell. The idea here is to get shiny metal surfaces on your electrodes.

There is a Science Buddies project similar to the one you've described. You may find the background information helpful:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... er#summary

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”