Questions about The Scientific Method itself

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

DivergentDroid

Questions about The Scientific Method itself

Post by DivergentDroid »

Not a student I'm 50. I remember learning some things about the way the scientific method works that people are questioning and I'd like your take on it. If I am correct, I'd like sources to shows these peers. I don't have access to the textbooks I used 30 years ago.

My understanding is this:

1)The scientific method does not deal with anything it cannot test on. That is a requirement that your subject be able to be tested on.

2) Your experiments must be Repeatable by everyone - meaning everyone must be able to replicate your experiments themselves. True or false?

3) To pass the scientific method, your findings must be Duplicate-able by everyone - meaning the same results must be found by everyone who test without deviation. Examples are Laws in science where no experiment under like conditions shows any deviation, so we consider the thing to be a Law. If you test and do not find the same results the the thing in question is Not considered to have passed the scientific method and therefore the method throws out the data and starts over. True or false?

I make the distinction here between the Repeat-ability and Duplicate-ability; One is replicating the experiment itself and the other is replicating the same results from those experiments. I do this because people make claims about things that we cannot test on. I aim to show Both must be in order for something to pass the scientific method.

4) If something is Not able to be tested on, if the experiments are not able to be replicated, if the results are not also replicated the thing in question does not pass the scientific method and the premise or claim is not considered valid science at all. The scientific method throws all out to start over. True or false?

Please give sources. Thank you.
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Questions about The Scientific Method itself

Post by norman40 »

Hi,

This forum is intended for students, parents, and teachers working on K-12 science projects. If you are looking for help with homework or general science discussions there are other sites that should be able to answer your question.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”