Seebeck Effect Science Fair Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

naguin

Seebeck Effect Science Fair Project

Post by naguin »

Hello! I have a few questions about this project. I'm thinking of doing this project for my junior year science fair, but I'm not sure if it's a good topic for me because I have no experience working with electricity or any logic of it, but I'm willing to learn (: With that, I have a few questions about the materials and the procedures... How does the Thermocouple Thermometer measure? Also will there be any connecting with other appliances to the Thermocouple Thermometer? I'm so sorry, I just don't know anything about this topic. I am doing research now though, I just need clarification. And if you don't mind, I may be asking more questions later on...

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... er#summary
This is the project I'm planning on doing.

Thank you!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Seebeck Effect Science Fair Project

Post by norman40 »

Hi naguin,

A thermocouple is a device that changes voltage in response to temperature. So a thermocouple thermometer has a voltmeter and a thermocouple. A calibration is required to convert voltage change into temperature. The “Background” section of the project describes how thermocouples work in detail.

This project doesn't require connecting the thermocouple to anything but a voltmeter (or multimeter). The procedure does involve measuring the thermocouple voltage at several temperatures (ice water, boiling water, hot oven, freezer). The project “Procedure” section outlines how to do all of this. If you're not familiar with using an multimeter, there's a great tutorial at the following link:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... multimeter

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”