ORGANIC SHAMPOO experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

zeebeez43

ORGANIC SHAMPOO experiment

Post by zeebeez43 »

Hi, i'm conducting the organic shampoo vs store bought shampoo and one of the needed materials for experiment is Wool yarn, what can I have as an alternative to that material? Wool yarn is not available here in the Philippines :( :( Can I use an acrylic yarn?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: ORGANIC SHAMPOO experiment

Post by norman40 »

Hello zeebeez43,

I'm assuming that you are working on the project described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... t-performs

If you cannot purchase wool yarn locally, would it be possible to buy it online and have it shipped to you?

Wool yarn is the best choice as it will not be harmed by any of the soaking and drying steps in the project procedure. Acrylic yarn might be softened or even partially dissolved when soaked in the acetone/grease solution as described in the procedure.

If you are not able to get wool yarn you might try testing some acrylic yarn samples to see if they survive the acetone soaking and oven-drying steps. To do this you could put a piece of yarn in a small volume of acetone for a few minutes. Remove the yarn, let it air dry and check for any changes in the yarn appearance. Next you could put a different piece of yarn in an oven heated to 170 deg. F for 30 minutes. Remove the yarn and examine it for changes. The yarn is probably OK to use in your project if you don't see any changes after these treatments.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
zeebeez43

Post by zeebeez43 »

Can I also substitute India Ink to China ink? What's the difference between the two?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hi zeebeez43,

China ink is another name for India ink. The two materials are the same and you could use either in your project.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
zeebeez43

Post by zeebeez43 »

Hello! Thanks for the advice! I have tested two Acrylic Yarns with the Acetone and Oven Heating, and didn't have any changes in its physical appearance.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”