Electromagnetic radiation shielding

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

skipper2019

Electromagnetic radiation shielding

Post by skipper2019 »

Hi - I've learned recently how the ionosphere protects us from solar flares and cosmic radiation, and how they are going to protect spaceships by building magnetic fields around ships with superconducting magnets.

Let's say I want to protect my home from radiation in a nuclear war. Can I put a big electromagnet in the middle of the floor and turn it on, or do I have to coil the wire inside the walls? How powerful does the magnet have to be?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Electromagnetic radiation shielding

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. This is a forum to help grade school students with their science fair project. If this question is related to a science fair project, tell us more about it.

If this isn't related to a science fair project, there are other forums more appropriate for this discussion.

Thanks!
Deana
skipper2019

Post by skipper2019 »

Hi - I've learned recently how the ionosphere protects us from solar flares and cosmic radiation, and how they are going to protect spaceships by building magnetic fields around ships with superconducting magnets.

For my science fair let's say I want to protect my mom's home from radiation in a nuclear war. Can I put a big electromagnet in the middle of the floor and turn it on, or do I have to coil the wire inside the walls? How powerful does the magnet have to be?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Tell us about your variables and hypothesis for your science fair.
Deana
skipper2019

Post by skipper2019 »

Hi - My variables are: How big does the electromagnet have to be? Do I have to coil the wire inside the walls?
How can I test these variables? My hypothesis is radiation in the house will be reduced?
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Skipper2019 - are you doing a K-12 school science fair project on this topic? If so, has your project been approved by your teacher?

These forums are for use by K-12 students working on school science projects. There are other forums online where you can discuss general science ideas and ways to test them.

Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”