Real life application: how to make a piano sing project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

qiqiii

Real life application: how to make a piano sing project

Post by qiqiii »

This project is about sympathetic vibration on a piano.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... piano-sing
So my question is, what does the result of this project do? How does it apply to "real life", other than just piano-performing area, or a cool demonstration (the methods this project used looks really cool)? If I know which tone was induced to vibration the most and which tone was not, what does this information helps? In shorter words, what real life application this project has? Thanks for any advised!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Real life application: how to make a piano sing project

Post by norman40 »

Hi qiqiii,

This project is about how sympathetic vibrations can produce sounds and the experiment is a demonstration of one aspect of the physics of sound production. The background section describes some of the underlying physics involved. A“real world” application is the design musical instruments. Designs that provide pleasing resonances and harmonics contribute to good sound from an instrument.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
qiqiii

Post by qiqiii »

Thank you Mr/Ms Norman! That does help. (Also sorry for the late reply, I've been stressed out :( )
Talking about resonance in instrument, I do know that helps a little in music composing. I know there's one Chopin's piece, which has the fundamental tone and overtones played together with the pedal pushed down, so that the music sounds "good" as a whole. Also in music composing, especially accompaniments, sometimes there's a very low note in the beginning of a measure or in the transition to another section. I'm not sure though if that low note is used to contribute to resonance, but that's an idea. But still, those are mostly application of the background knowledge of this project, and does't really have things to do with "which one of the notes resonants the most".
So how does that really relates to music instrument design? Would you describe more details?
Also I think for some reasons different pianos will have different outcomes, maybe not in the big picture but a few of the tones, especially the first or second overtone. I haven't done the experiment yet but I have tried on different pianos. I'm not sure but that might provide some ideas on application.
norman40
Former Expert

Post by norman40 »

Hi qiqiii,

You've described another application of resonance in music. Composers (and performers) can manipulate fundamental tones and resonances to get the desired sounds.

Musical instrument design (guitar for example) involves selection of a soundboard material and addition of bracing to the soundboard. Both the material and bracing will affect resonance of the instrument. Some background research in this area may be helpful. And you may find the following information of interest:

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/ ... /Resonance

http://www.scienceclarified.com/everyda ... tions.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_resonance

A. Norman
qiqiii

Post by qiqiii »

Thank you! The links are pretty helpful.
Although the only thing I'm worried about is, most of those applications are based on the background knowledge, which is resonance. What this project is about exactly, is which string makes the other one resonant the most. Resonance does have plenty of applications, but the range of applications is much smaller when it comes to the application of this particular project. What good does it make to know which string makes the other one resonant the most? Or it's always good just to know about resonance more, since resonance is such an applicable subject?
I've finished most of the experiment. For now the data shows that, the simpler the ratio between two frequencies is, the easier it is for one of the strings to resonant the other (when it's the same string that's vibrating sympathetically). Also,I knew the simpler the ratio between two frequencies is, the more consonant the two frequencies will be. Maybe there are some connections between these two?
norman40
Former Expert

Post by norman40 »

Hi qiqiii,

I think that the main idea of this project is to demonstrate that sound waves can induce vibration in objects (like piano strings). In other words the project is about how some basic wave properties work. And these are important concepts to help understand light and sound transmission.

Some of the examples I've posted make use of the principles demonstrated in this project. The musical composition example you suggested may be the most literal and direct application of knowing which piano string makes another resonate.

The main relationship between “played” and “singing” strings in the experiment is described in the background section of the project. The singing string frequency will normally be a harmonic of the played string.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”