"Column Chromatography: Can you Separate the Dyes in Grape Soda Using Space Sand™?"

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

trapstar1738

"Column Chromatography: Can you Separate the Dyes in Grape Soda Using Space Sand™?"

Post by trapstar1738 »

"Column Chromatography: Can you Separate the Dyes in Grape Soda Using Space Sand™?" I am doing this experiment tonight. When I did, the eluate became slightly clearer and the sand basically did not change color. I followed the all the directions but still wondered if she might have done something wrong. Also, the sand I need is unavailable so I had to use moldable sand. Could that be the problem? The dyes really did not separate and that was not the results we were expecting. Also when pouring the 70% isopropyl alcohol then following with distilled water and finally grape soda, nothing happens. Am I supposed to wait for some days or am I doing something wrong? Please Help. Thanks
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: "Column Chromatography: Can you Separate the Dyes in Grape Soda Using Space Sand™?"

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi trapstar1738,
I don't believe moldable sand is going to work with this experiment as the experiment really needs the hydorphobic property to make it work.

Willey
trapstar1738

Re: "Column Chromatography: Can you Separate the Dyes in Grape Soda Using Space Sand™?"

Post by trapstar1738 »

Hello, I am unable to find hydrophobic sand so is there a substitute I could use?
trapstar1738

Post by trapstar1738 »

Would the substitute "silica" work it is the only thing I can find in stores.
trapstar1738

Post by trapstar1738 »

I've ordered kinetic sand since it is hydrophobic I'm hoping this would work.
Thanks
trapstar1738

Post by trapstar1738 »

Hello, my name is Akua. I tried the experiment using first molding sand then using kinetic sand which is hydrophobic. The molding sand did not work but the kinetic sand worked a little. Is there anything else I can do because this is my science fair project and there is no hydrophobic sand available in stores or online.

Please help, Thanks.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by AmyCowen »

Akua - As Willey explained, this project does require Space Sand (also called Magic Sand) because of Space Sand's specific hydrophobic properties. (This is explained in the "background tab" for the project.)

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”