HI GUYS

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

badminton

HI GUYS

Post by badminton »

Right now I am working on making new programs to run on the simulator's stations. The space ship's controls, if you will. I was hoping this would somehow work as a science fair project. A major goal with these new stations would be to teach more science, especially physics, so the students could see how these things work, and be better prepared to learn about them in a classroom. I would most likely gear this to be an engineering project. Although the end result would be to use this technology for education, most of the project would be focused on the software engineering aspect of making the system. Some engineering problems I would be tackling would be networking, extensibility, and ease of use. I am doing this as a volunteer project, so I don't see this as simply presenting my job as a science fair project. I would also like this system to be flexible enough to work at other locations that the Pleasant Grove Space Center, so that opening a simulator in another school would be possible.

So, what do you think? Usually when I think of an engineering project, I think of an invention that solves a fairly large problem. This would be more a system developed to solve a more specific need. Would this work as a science fair project? Should I narrow the scope, or widen it? Perhaps focusing on a specific part of the project (like our networking system) would be more effective? Perhaps this idea is simply not science fair material at all. I would really like this project to be competitive. Last year I was able to compete at ISEF, and would love the opportunity to go again.

Thank You,
badminton!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HI GUYS

Post by norman40 »

Hello badminton,

Software development could be the basis for a science fair project. Based on your description, I think you have an engineering project. Science Buddies has an engineering project guide at the following link that may be useful as you work through your project.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... cess-guide

As you consider your project you might want to establish one or more goals for your finished system as well as methods to measure whether the goals have been met. This process may help you settle on the scope of your project.

Science Buddies has a number of computer and software projects. Reading through some of these projects may give you some ideas about how to approach your own project. The list of computer projects can be accessed here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... er-science

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”