Help in choosing a topic please!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Dan56789

Help in choosing a topic please!!!

Post by Dan56789 »

First of all if you think that my question should go somewhere else please move it, I am not exactly sure where it belongs so if you think it should go so somewhere else please do so.

Hi my name is Daniel and I have been thinking about doing the google science fair for a while. So here is the only idea i could come up with which seemed like there was't a complete solution to.

In my house in the bathtub we use silicone to insulate the gaps. A problem is that after a few months it changes into a black colour.

So the idea I have is to make something in which this silicone will not or not so quickly develop mildew or mold. I haven't done much research yet but after my exams I planning to start doing actual research as to how I can make something which can resist or stop mold forming on the rubber silicone while not losing it's other properties.

Do you think my idea is even possible? If so is it a good one? Where can/should I start ? This is the first time I am trying to do a science fair project which is not something that more or less already has an answer to, so just about any advise would be very helpful.

Thank You very much!!!!

P.S I have not set a time limit on myself but I hope to have something by September when the Google Science Fair starts.

[Administrator note: Link to your other thread so that Experts can see your more recent post, too: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19973&p=66563#p66563]
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help in choosing a topic please!!!

Post by norman40 »

Hi Daniel,

An investigation about mildew or mold on silicone caulk could be the basis for an interesting science project. A great place to start with this would be to find out about the types of mold and mildew involved. Next you might research effective inhibitors for these. And you might want to look into whether the inhibitors would work better mixed with the caulk or applied as a treatment to caulk after it's installed.

One challenge for this kind of project is the time required for the mold or mildew to develop. You may want to try multiple tests of inhibitors. If each trial takes several weeks to determine if mold/midew develops, the project could take quite a while. So it may be worthwhile to look into ways to accelerate mold/mildew growth for the purposes of your testing.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”