Research Paper

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

alakais391

Research Paper

Post by alakais391 »

Hello, I have qualified for ISEF 2019. For my project I developed a new robotic surgical system that improves surgical skill and performance, and accelerates surgeon learning. My design replaces the current Da Vinci controllers with Nintendo Switch Joycons. I was wondering would it help me if I publish my research paper in a journal or if I get a preprint while I'm waiting for the journal to peer review? Also, I didn't get a patent yet, so would that have a negative impact on my score?
Thank you
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Research Paper

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Alakais and congratulations on making it to ISEF 2019!

First of all, I have only judged science projects at ISEF, I have not judged engineering projects, so other experts here should definitely add their suggestions!

Second, I think your first priority for preparing for ISEF 2019, is to make sure you are ready for the interviews. Here's a link to some suggestions:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... mpetitions

That said, it will be very useful if you do have a pre-print or even a draft of your paper describing your project. You can include that with your lab notebook, or even have it in a separate notebook.

If you have started preparing the documentation for applying for a patent, you could include that as well.

Best wishes for great success at ISEF!
alakais391

Post by alakais391 »

Thank you
alakais391

Continuation Project

Post by alakais391 »

Hello, I am doing a continuation project about improving performance and accelerating learning in robotic surgery. This is my first time doing a continuation project, so I am not sure whether I should include any of the data from last year on my board and should I bring my notebook from last year? Also, am I allowed to talk about last year's project, just to give an introduction? Last year my project was a pilot study, but I got it published in the Journal of Emerging Investigators so can I bring the published paper to have as a reference? Additionally, since last year was my pilot study, I had already figured out how to conduct this year's study without any problems, so I don't have any major setbacks I can include in my presentation; is it fine to just say that if a judge asks about issues encountered?

Thank you.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Alakais391,

Congratulations again on being a finalist at ISEF 2019 and hooray that you are planning your display board and presentation for ISEF 2020.

Here's a link to a page that shows the 2020 Rules and Guidelines for ISEF 2020. There is a link to the Rules and Guidelines and a second link to the Rules and Guidelines with Forms.

https://www.societyforscience.org/isef/ ... nal-rules/

I'm sure you are familiar with some of these guidelines from ISEF 2019, but I encourage you to pay particular attention to the 2020 guidelines and do not assume the 2020 guidelines for any issue are the same as they were for 2019.

I see that the guidelines assume that you have an adult sponsor and that you will be working with your sponsor to go through these rules and determine which forms you will need.

The rules for continuation projects such as yours start on page 4 of the 2020 Rules and Guidelines. That page might change if you are looking at the 2020 Rules and Guidelines with Forms.

I notice that you can only show 12 months of research, but you can choose which 12 months within the time period January 2019 to May 2020. So connect with your adult sponsor and study the guidelines! Please do not hesitate to post again with more questions. Congratulations again and best of luck with your preparations!

Madeline

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”