Raspberry Pi Experiments and Projects

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Selashash
Occupation: https://diceus.com/offshore-software-de ... -benefits/
Project Question: Raspberry Pi Experiments and Projects
Project Due Date: 12 month
Project Status: I am just starting

Raspberry Pi Experiments and Projects

Post by Selashash »

As mentioned in the other blog post, I now have a Raspberry Pi 3B+. My dad has suggested making a server out of it, and he’ll help me figure out port forwarding to make it accessible from outside our local network. Its main features are a 1.4 GHz quad core processor and wireless capabilities (dual band wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2). In addition to servers, I’ve seen people use Pis in robots and smart appliances (connect to Amazon's Alexa service or the Google equivalent). What other cool things have you seen done with a Raspberry Pi that would be worth trying out?

I took a quick look at the official Raspberry Pi magazine, and in a section on add-ons to Pis, there’s a neat device called a Hologram Nova. It’s a little chip on a USB connection that you plug into your Pi. It allows the Pi to access cellular networks in the absence of WiFi/Ethernet access. If you were doing something relatively crazy with a Raspberry Pi (trailblazing robots or something) then that would be pretty handy!

They call certain Pi add-ons HATs, which sit on top of a full sized Pi and connect to its various parts. One of these is a Cluster HAT, which would sit on top of the main, full size Pi. It can then connect to 4 Pi Zeros that attach directly to the HAT which connects directly to the main Pi's motherboard. This would be a pretty big boost to the Pi's distributed processing power!

There’s also a HAT specifically for the Pi 3B+ that allows it to be powered over an Ethernet cable...? How’s that work, and why would you want to do that? (As opposed to normal power solutions)
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Raspberry Pi Experiments and Projects

Post by bfinio »

Hi Selashash - this forum is specifically for people using the Science Buddies Raspberry Pi kit, which uses an older version of the Raspberry Pi (the original B+), and doesn't use any accessories like HATs. If you have a newer model and questions about projects you've seen in other resources like their official magazine, you are probably better off asking questions in their official forums: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

Good luck!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”