Making object appear floating using magnet and lenz's law

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

MaxMart

Making object appear floating using magnet and lenz's law

Post by MaxMart »

When I was a lucky girl who attended the Bronx High School of Science, I built in science shop a device that had an object appear to be floating. I remember magnets being involved and I think polarity being changed and it involved Lenz's law. My budding engineer great-niece is now in 11th grade and I would love to have her recreate this as a science fair project. Your website says "see an object appearing to levitate", which seemed like it was going to describe how to reproduce the project I built almost 50 years ago. But the procedure given just has you drop a magnet down different conductor pipes and measure the time. I would be greatful if someone could supply directions about how to actually build the device that makes the object appear like it is floating in space that uses magnets while the polarity is reversed. In 1965, of the three special science high schools in NYC for science and math (tests were required for entrance) only Bronx Science took girls. I went on to get a law degree and MBA and work with tech --- it's taken nearly 50 years but through the wonderful STEM and STEAM programs, girls now finally see science and math as viable career routes --- I think MIT just had an entering class that is half women. Thanks to all the teachers like my lucky great-niece's teachers who encourage girls in science and math. Thanks a lot!!! :D
pharrast
Former Expert

Re: Making object appear floating using magnet and lenz's law

Post by pharrast »

http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magplate.htm

Is this closer to what you remember?

Go women in STEM!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”