How to measure BPA using a UV/VIS Spectrophotometer

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Annabrowne

How to measure BPA using a UV/VIS Spectrophotometer

Post by Annabrowne »

I am doing a STEM research project and I will be testing BPA levels in different plastics using a UV/VIS spectrophotometer. I found a similar research online but they do not get into the specifics of exactly how they measured the BPA and BPS using the spectrophotometer. They talked about putting methanol and water in the plastics that were to be tested. Later, they put the plastic with the water and methanol into the oven for a few hours and collected a sample of the liquid that was inside and put it into the UV/VIS spectrophotometer. I do not understand how this works. How will I know if the results from the spectrophotometer are the BPA levels in the plastic and not other substances. It would be very helpful if someone could give me a step by step solution in finding the BPA in plastics. Also, will I need specific materials for this experiment other than a UV/VIS spectrophotometer?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to measure BPA using a UV/VIS Spectrophotometer

Post by norman40 »

Hi annabrowne,

After a bit of searching online I found an article that appears to be similar to the description you posted:

https://scholarlycommons.obu.edu/cgi/vi ... ors_theses

This article describes a UV method for determining BPA and BPS concentrations in a methanol/water solvent system. The basic steps involved in this kind of analysis include the following:

Find the UV (or visible) light wavelength that gives maximum absorbance for the compound of interest (BPA and BPS).

Make a calibration curve by measuring absorbance at the chosen wavelength for a set of solutions of known concentrations of the compound of interest.

Measure the absorbance of a test solution and use the calibration data to calculate the test solution calibration.

There is a Science Buddies project that works through this kind of analysis:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ks#summary

This project involves building a visible spectrophotometer and testing colored sports drinks. But the same principles apply to the BPA/BPS analysis. So the project background, bibliography and procedures described should be helpful as you develop your test.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”