chemistry Adsorption: Dyeing Fabrics with Kool-Aid)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Rosy_Frahi

chemistry Adsorption: Dyeing Fabrics with Kool-Aid)

Post by Rosy_Frahi »

Hello,
I want to do Adsorption: Dyeing Fabrics with Kool-Aid as my science fair project, but I can't figure out what I am testing or what the question is. I think I'm trying to figure out how much kool aid I need to dye a wool fabric, but even the slightest drop of koolaid dyes fabric, so I don't think so. If anyone has any idea on what it is, please...please...PLEASE help me out my project is due in 1 week :shock: :cry:
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: chemistry Adsorption: Dyeing Fabrics with Kool-Aid)

Post by audreyln »

Hello,

It sounds like you are trying to figure out what variable you'd like to test relating to dying fabrics with Kool-Aid. Some things that come to mind as variables are the type of fabric (cotton, wool, nylon, etc), the brand of Kool-Aid (generic vs. name-brand, probably not the most interesting experiment), the concentration of the Kool-Aid (how much you mix in the water), or the time you allow the fabric to sit in the Kool-Aid.

Keep in mind that you need to determine how to measure the outcome of changing each variable. For example, if you test different types of fabric, how will you measure how "well" the Kool-Aid dyes the cotton vs. the wool? How dark the color is?

Good luck,

Audrey
Rosy_Frahi

Re: chemistry Adsorption: Dyeing Fabrics with Kool-Aid)

Post by Rosy_Frahi »

Hello Audrey,

Thank you so much for answering. I'm pretty positive that it is the concentration because of the amount of times they talk about it! You were really really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply with such great answers!

Sincerely, Rosy Frahi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”