Queries on Physics Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

fca562d57fbb433ba3a3696d8c0a259c

Queries on Physics Project

Post by fca562d57fbb433ba3a3696d8c0a259c »

Hello,

I am currently am a high school student embarking on a physics project about "How does the rotational speed of a helicopter affects its lift force."
I already have results regarding this but i am unable to find any formula to review my results. Could someone kindly provide a formula relating the rotational speed (regarding the blades) of a helicopter and its lift force? Thanks

Help would be much appreciated
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Queries on Physics Project

Post by rmarz »

fca562d57fbb433ba3a3696d8c0a259c - The "physics" of helicopter flight is complex and fascinating. It sounds like you are trying to define 'lift' developed by the major rotor as a function of the rotors rotational speed. The speed of rotation certainly has an effect, but in actuality, there are several key variables that you are not addressing. Lift is a function of the rotational speed and the 'angle of attack' of the blades. In actuality, most helicopters rotors maintain a constant rotational speed in flight, and lift is developed as the collective control changes the angle of attack of the blades during rotation. Even more fascinating is that during directional flight, the fact that during a single rotation of the rotor, the angle of attack of each blade is constantly changing controlled by the 'cyclic' controller. I suggest you look up a few explanation of helicopter physics to understand this complex process before trying to develop an experiment related to simply rotor speed and lift. Good luck.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”