What should I pick as my category?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mrpenguin

What should I pick as my category?

Post by mrpenguin »

Hello!

My project is basically a transmission line monitoring system to prevent fires. I'm kind of torn on which project category I should submit to, because I feel like it could fit in multiple categories. It uses AI and IOT heavily, but its applications are environmental. Can someone offer their input? Thanks!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What should I pick as my category?

Post by norman40 »

Hi mrpenguin,

Your description sounds like an engineering project. You might want to review the engineering project guide at the following link to see if your work fits the guidelines.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... cess-guide

If you're trying to decide between computer and environmental categories, you might consider choosing the that category interests you most.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
mrpenguin

Post by mrpenguin »

Thanks for the response!

I'm attending an ISEF affiliated regional fair soon. I am thinking of entering my project in the environmental engineering category, which is described as: "Studies that engineer or develop processes and infrastructure to solve environmental problems in the supply of water, the disposal of waste, or the control of pollution."

However, my project is oriented toward hazard prevention. But, I feel like environmental could be a better place to submit to, because my project is more geared towards impact rather than complexity. The other categories I am considering include Systems Software, Embedded Systems, or Engineering Mechanics.

Do you have any additional advice? Thank you so much!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hi mrpenguin,

I agree with your rationale for choosing the environmental engineering category. The others that you mentioned seem to be more about the system.

You might keep in mind that your category choice will influence how you orient your background research. For example in the environmental category you might include some background information on hazard prevention and environmental impact of fires. And if this is a keen interest you will enjoy the background research.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
mrpenguin

Post by mrpenguin »

It helped, thank you so much!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”