Alternatives for fuel combustions

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ef8418aa3822489ca336434eb45e72e9
Project Question: I am currently working on a chemistry project where I am looking for an alternative for combustion of fuel.
Project Due Date: 5/20/20
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Alternatives for fuel combustions

Post by ef8418aa3822489ca336434eb45e72e9 »

I had an idea for a science project that was based around one of the projects on this website. What I am trying to do is react ethanol without releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (aka without a combustion pretty much). In this project I am designing a series of experiments to that I can eventually test them to see if my chemical reactions that I have planned out will work. I was wondering if there was anyone who would be able to go over my equations with me to point out the flaws and make suggestions as to what I can to to help have a greater success rate?

Moderator note: I've removed your email as per Science Buddies guidelines: all communication with Science Buddies experts needs to be via these forums. You can attach a photo or a pdf of your equations, if this is a hands-on science projects for Grades K-12. Thank you.
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Alternatives for fuel combustions

Post by norman40 »

Hi,

There are several reactions of ethanol other than combustion. You might want to research these, find the enthalpies for the reactions and compare them with the enthalpy of combustion.

In addition to posting your equations as suggested by the moderator, it would be helpful if you could include your hypothesis or research question and your experimental plan.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”