Nuclear Sciences Research

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SaMiller20

Nuclear Sciences Research

Post by SaMiller20 »

Hi, my name is Sander, I'm a sophomore in high school. I've been pretty interested in nuclear sciences since it mixes my science/engineer interests with environmental issues. I've tried to do some outreach to scientists in the filed but I haven't had any luck. Does anybody have any ideas about who I can contact? Is it reasonable to pursue research or try to find a mentor in this area? Or is it too complicated or specialized of a field to pursue?
MaddiDenton
Former Expert

Re: Nuclear Sciences Research

Post by MaddiDenton »

Hi Sandler!

It's really exciting and impressive that you've already determined a potential research interest so early in your scientific journey!
I have a background in a very different field, but I started pursuing it around your age, so I'll let you know what I did!

Try googling "nuclear science + 'university name'", starting in your local area and then branching out. I'd even look at recent articles or interviews done by experts in the field and contacting them, as they may prioritize communication more than others.
If you're really dedicated, it may also be worth looking at the curriculum of universities that offer courses in the field and taking those points to teachers at your high school. They likely won't be experts, but they see your passion for the topic and may be able to nurture your interests in a personal, beneficial way!

Good luck with your scientific pursuits, let us know how you get on!
ElizabethBarlett

Re: Nuclear Sciences Research

Post by ElizabethBarlett »

Hi, Sander. Also, like one more option to get a new experience you can take part in volunteering on an interesting topic. As now the situation is not easy to make volunteering offline, you can search online volunteering possibilities in the USA or even Europe. Great international organizations SCI (Service Civil International ) check their database for 2020. Good luck

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”