ninjaracer1223

Testing the affects of electro magnetic resonance on bacteria and viruses

Postby ninjaracer1223 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Hello,

I'm a student interested in testing the affects of electromagnetic resonance on bacteria and viruses (as a personal project). Specifically, if EMF induced resonance can be used to kill bacteria and versus. I'm curious because I've seen lots of devices claiming that a certain EM frequency can kill germs, and there is what seems to be preliminary research backing up the principle, but I haven't found anything like clinical trials or tests verifying the devices themselves.

I'm new to Science Buddies, so I'm not if this is the best place to ask this kind of question (if you have any other suggestions or resources please let me know). If anyone has any suggestions for doing this test I would greatly appreciate it. Here's what I was thinking of doing:
-construct one of these "zapper" EMF germ killers
-conduct first test by putting viruses and bacteria in an electrolyte solution and passing the current through at the specified frequency and seeing if works. Any ideas on a specific electrolyte solution?
-work from there

Any suggestions or thoughts? I've included links below.

Thanks.

https://www.livescience.com/7472-kill-v ... death.html

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _of_Action

Schematic/instructions sent on how to build one of the so-called "zappers" (in German): https://www.bauanleitung.org/elektro/za ... anleitung/

SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher

Re: Testing the affects of electro magnetic resonance on bacteria and viruses

Postby SciB » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi and welcome to Scibuddies.
I'm not familiar with that 'zapper', but EM fields can certainly affect living tissue. The problem, I think, would be coming up with a device that can zap bacteria and viruses specifically without harming the humans that are operating it.

You can probably kill some bacteria and fungi by passing an electric current through a solution, but that is not really practical in the environment as it could be very hazardous depending on the voltage and current involved. Maybe it could be used in a controlled area like a water treatment plant.

Your ideas are interesting, but I think you need to come up with something more specific. Radiation such as ultraviolet or gamma rays will sterilize solutions and medical items but they have to be used in a specialized treatment area to prevent harm to personnel. An EMF that would kill bacteria and viruses would also have to be applied in such a way that it did not harm human cells. A microwave oven will kill bacteria but has to be shielded to protect the user.

Think about this some more and get back to us with your questions and we will try to steer you in the right direction.

Regards,
Sybee

ninjaracer1223

Re: Testing the affects of electro magnetic resonance on bacteria and viruses

Postby ninjaracer1223 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:25 am

Hello Sybee, my sincere apologies for not responding earlier, I never received a notification so I thought no one had answered. I just checked on the off-chance.

Thank you for the great advice, I really appreciate it. I'm still doing more research on this topic and I will let you know if I have any further questions.

Best Regards.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”