Tuned Mass Damper vs. Base Isolation

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mewto

Tuned Mass Damper vs. Base Isolation

Post by mewto »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew which is better: base isolation or tuned mass damper and the scientific principles behind it. Thanks.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Tuned Mass Damper vs. Base Isolation

Post by MadelineB »

Hello mewto,

Are you planning a hands-on science project? If you are, please provide more information about your project, including your hypothesis and the experiments to test that. This forum is for students who are doing hands-on science projects. Otherwise, there are other sites on the web where your questions would be more appropriate.

Thanks!
Madeline
mewto

Post by mewto »

Hello. Thanks for replying. Let me elaborate further. I'm planning an experiment in which I'll be comparing tuned mass damper and base isolation. I'll be using 2 structures, and fitting one with with a tuned mass damper, and another with base isolators. However, I have some questions. For one, I don't have a hypothesis yet b/c I don't know the scientific principles behind them well enough to compare the two methods. I also don't know how I'll be constructing the tuned mass damper and the base isolators. In addition, I'm not sure how I'll measure the reaction of each structure to the shake table. So it would be awesome if anyone could please tell me about some scientific principles behind the 2 techniques so that I can better conduct this experiment. :mrgreen:
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by MadelineB »

Hello mewto,

You have interesting questions, however, these forums are for students (and their teachers and parents) in grades K-12 who are doing hands-on science projects.

You are welcome to browse the Science Buddies project database but the experts here have limited time and must focus on the students.

Here's a link to some discussion regarding shake tables.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/ask-an-e ... hake+table

Thank you for understanding our limitations,
Madeline
cmpayne
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm here to help you find answers science questions and point you in directions to learn more.
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by cmpayne »

Hi mewto,

In addition to the resources Madeline pointed out, you might also find the following discussion of earthquake-resistant building designs interesting:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/stem-act ... ke-rollers

There is also a YouTube video describing what a science fair experiment that explores how base isolation and tuned mass dampers perform in making a building "earthquake-proof:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N8iQ9C ... =QuadSquad

Hope this helps!
Dr. Christina Payne

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”