Finding data for neutralization experiment.

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Oishi72

Finding data for neutralization experiment.

Post by Oishi72 »

Hi,
For a depth study I am conducting an experiment to test which base is most effective at neutralizing a range of acids (about 3). However I am having trouble coming up with a variable to measure, at the moment my experiment consists of measuring the pH before and after neutralization reaction to see which would be closest to neutral (7). However both me and my teacher think there could be a better variable (or data) to measure, any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks a lot!
bvionis
Student Expert

Re: Finding data for neutralization experiment.

Post by bvionis »

Hello,

If your experiment is testing which base would able to most successfully neutralize the 3 acid samples (or however many samples of acids you plan to use), your variable would naturally be the different kinds of bases you are using to neutralize these acids. If this is in fact what you are doing, rather than just comparing the pH's before and after the neutralization reaction, you may want to consider averaging the pH levels of the 3 acids after the reaction has been conducted on them (you would do this with each base you are using). Furthermore, for greater accuracy, I would recommend repeating the above process multiple times (each time being a trial), averaging the averages; this would result in one value for each variable. Using this method, you would be able to see which base most effectively neutralized the acids on average based on how close the measured average is to 7.

In addition, is there any particular method you are using to choose your acids (for example, are you choosing them from lowest to highest acidity)? This is something you may want to consider to further demonstrate the effectiveness of each base being used.

I hope I was able to understand your experiment enough to properly answer your questions; if there is anything in my answer you have questions about, or if you have any more questions regarding your experiment in general, I will be happy to further assist you.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”