Glow in the Dark

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

myspeach

Glow in the Dark

Post by myspeach »

When you sandwich a glow in the dark piece of tape between two mirrors, why does it not make it glow longer? The mirrors are reflecting the glow back to the source.
cmpayne
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm here to help you find answers science questions and point you in directions to learn more.
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Glow in the Dark

Post by cmpayne »

Dear myspeach,

Is this question related to a science fair topic? Either way, glow-in-the-dark materials are phosphorescent, and phosphorescence does not provide radiation on the same scale as the light that originally "charged" the material into the excited state (i.e., glowing). Thus, glow-in-the-dark properties are not prolonged by the reflection because there is limited additional radiation re-emitted to maintain the excited state.

Best regards,
Dr. Payne
myspeach

Post by myspeach »

You're the Man Dr. Payne. Thank you for the response. Dr. Payne for President! Now my world changing light is not going to work. Dag Nab it! " related to a science fair topic? " It could be but not mine. I do not recall reading that questions had to be when I signed up.
myspeach

Post by myspeach »

I now read this in a reply in some post " The Ask the Expert forums are for students and their parents and teachers in Grades K-12 who are doing hands-on science projects. The experts here are volunteers so they don't have time to respond to other questions. There are other sites on the internet where your questions will be more appropriate. I hope you understand! Thank you , Madeline, Moderator. This statement needs to be on the Home Page.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by MadelineB »

Thanks for the suggestion!

Madeline
cmpayne
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm here to help you find answers science questions and point you in directions to learn more.
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by cmpayne »

You're the Man Dr. Payne.
Hi myspeach, I appreciate the enthusiasm. I would be the "Woman" though. :D

Dr. Christina Payne

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”