I need help with a material than can absorb heat without heating up

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

M_Craig

I need help with a material than can absorb heat without heating up

Post by M_Craig »

I am working on a theoretical shark tank pitch for my English class and I have an idea for a product but I can't seem to find a good material for the product. My product is a gaming controller that absorbs the heat of a users hand making them feel cooler, however, most material that absorbs heat also conduct it heating up the object which is the exact opposite of what I am trying to accomplish. I looked into the radiative sky cooling project but that returns heat as IR radiation which is harmful. It just seems that the material I need doesn't exist so that's why I came here to ask the professionals to see if they knew of a material that could meet my requirements.

-Fairly Inexpensive to manufacture
-Absorbs Heat Without heating up
-Nontoxic
-can withstand continual use and being rubbed by hands
-Durable
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: I need help with a material than can absorb heat without heating up

Post by audreyln »

Hello,

This sounds like a fun project! Energy (heat from your hands in this case) must be conserved meaning that it cannot just disappear, it needs to be turned into something else or moved to another substance. For example the radiative sky cooling project takes energy (heat) and turns it into IR radiation.

For something that is inexpensive to manufacture you might consider the concept of a heat sink or evaporative cooling. This would be moving the energy to another substance (the air). I suggest doing some research on how computers use heat sinks. You might also get some ideas looking into water cooled super computers.

Good luck!

Audrey

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”