Password Security: How Easily Can Your Password Be Hacked?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

05e7c9abbd19414bb7d2389e04c837cb

Password Security: How Easily Can Your Password Be Hacked?

Post by 05e7c9abbd19414bb7d2389e04c837cb »

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Shella\Downloads\crack_password (4).py", line 582, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv[1:]))
  File "C:\Users\Shella\Downloads\crack_password (4).py", line 508, in main
    foundit = search_method_3("passwords.txt")
  File "C:\Users\Shella\Downloads\crack_password (4).py", line 275, in search_method_3
    f = open(file_name)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'passwords.txt'
>>> 
Hi, I am currently doing the 'Password Security: How Easily Can Your Password Be Hacked?' project, however when I was doing it, I encountered an error. When the program tries to guess password0, it gives an error (at above). I have placed crack.password.py and passwords.txt (I'm not sure how to make this into a file because initially it just opens up a new URL, so what I did is I just copy paste the entire URL and rename it after passwords.txt, I'm not sure whether I did it right, pleaseeee correct me if I'm wrong, and the file type is Internet Shortcut by the way) in the same folder (I created a new folder and named it after this project) but it still says no such file or directory, I don't get it. I don't know what to do, pleaseee help me, I have to submit this in the upcoming weekkk.

[Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... -be-hacked ]
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Password Security: How Easily Can Your Password Be Hacked?

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - It sounds like you may not have properly saved the text file, based on what you described. There are several ways to save a text file. You might:

1) let it open in your browser the way you said it did and then right-click on the page and choose "save as" to save it to your computer. (Be sure to save it to the same folder as the other file you are using.)

2) hover your mouse over the file name in the procedure, right click, and choose to save the link that way. Again, be sure to put it in the same folder.

On your computer, you need to make sure you have saved both files in the same folder for the programs to work.

Please note that this is an advanced project. It will require quite a bit of coding to complete - and you need to understand how to work with text files and the Python IDLE.

Amy Cowen
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”