Rail gun concept

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Kmlars

Rail gun concept

Post by Kmlars »

I had a question about a gun concept. What I am asking is, “Is this concept scientifically plausible, or would it be possible under the EXACT right conditions?” My concept is called the CGRG (charged gas rail gun) you would load some sort of particle into a chamber (it could be ferromagnetic gas or maybe even individual atoms and electrons or something) the chamber would charge the particle in a way that makes them dangerous to humans. Before the firing process, there would be an instrument creating an electromagnetic field that would house the gas. Upon firing a small hole would open up and a magnet would push the gas out. Would a thing like that be easier to just get a dangerous gas and just fire it with pressure instead of magnetism? Another problem would be diffusion because we wouldn’t want the gas to blow in our face. What gas could we use that would instakill someone? Iodine has? What would the velocity have to be in order for it to not be lethal to the weirder.

[combined posts]

My question is, “Would it be theoretically possible?” A weapon concept that isn’t fully fleshed out is called the PGR-2046 (penetrating gamma rifle) I suppose the year isn't relevant. The rifle has 5 main components. These three are for the gun. A small module that can cause a gamma burst, a device that would focus the gamma beams to fire in the direction you’re pointing, and an infrared sight to see your opponents through walls (because I think gamma can go through walls). The 2 other things would be a huge battery which would supply the plasma shield. I remember reading somewhere that instead of lead lined spacesuits, that they were experimenting with plasma.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Rail gun concept

Post by AmyCowen »

The Ask an Expert forums are designed to provide assistance to students working on hands-on science and engineering projects for things like science fairs. Can you tell us about the project you are doing, the assignment, and the class?

Amy
Science Buddies
Kmlars

Re: Rail gun concept

Post by Kmlars »

It’s not really for any class, but it is definitely something I would try replicating if it’s possible under the right circumstances. Obviously I don’t have the money or the certifications to buy or build an ionizing radiation emitter but I wanted to work on a blueprint to hopefully present to someone important

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”