Crime Scene Chemistry—The Cool Blue Light of Luminol

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

D4RKS3NS3I

Crime Scene Chemistry—The Cool Blue Light of Luminol

Post by D4RKS3NS3I »

Hello! I don't really know if this is the right forum to post this (probably isn't) but I have a question regarding one of the experiments that were displayed on this page.

To be more specific, I mean this experiment (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... od#summary). So my question regarding this project is, why are we using copper sulfate crystals? Are they catalysts? Would be grateful if anyone answered my question! (and maybe a link explaining it idk)

Moderator note: I've moved your question to the grade 9-12: Physical Science forum so those experts can help you! Good luck with your project.

Madeline
cvionis
Student Expert

Re: Crime Scene Chemistry—The Cool Blue Light of Luminol

Post by cvionis »

Hi D4RKS3NS3I,

In the project you linked, copper sulfate is used as a catalyst instead of blood. This is due to the fact that, by using copper sulfate, we can get the same results that we would have had we used blood as a catalyst. (See the last paragraph of the Introduction to the project's "Background" page.)

If you have any more questions, please let us know.

cvionis

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”