Question about Silicon and Weight

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jonstryder

Question about Silicon and Weight

Post by jonstryder »

Hi, so I'm an armature writer and tabletop RPG enthusiast, and I was wondering about something that is outside the realm of my science/math capability, and may be interesting/informative for others.

If you have a person of average weight/height/build, and one of the same dimensions but made from silicone, how heavy would they be in comparison? Assuming that the silicone being is more akin to a solid statue than a living & breathing thing.

In my attempts to understand, I assumed that a body like this may weigh roughly 3x that of a normal person since their body is dense like stone, and having no water mass as it is more like stone or crystal in it's composition.

But with this in mind, I'm also curious about what if the silicon being were living, would their body need to be a more mailable form of silicon and less crystalline/solid, and what would the mass be for such a body?
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about Silicon and Weight

Post by rmarz »

jonstryder - I've heard or armature winding, but not armature writing. You'll probably get some feedback that this forum is for students seeking help on a project. I thought I'd just try to straighten out a few simple facts. Silicon is an element, a metal, and it's easy to find it's specific gravity (2.33 gm/cc). Silicone is a compound that we see everyday as an adhesive, caulking material, synthetic rubber like material, a putty or a myriad of other household products. It's specific gravity varies with the material, but is usually close to that of water, some heavier, some lighter, +/- 15%. That means that some silicone material will float on water, some will sink. A human body, having some air filled cavities has a general specific gravity of under 1.0. That is why a human body will generally float in water. A human form manufactured of a silicone material will either sink or float depending on it's composition and specific gravity.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”