Moon mass and orbital balance

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Laurrie_Loz_Lozza

Moon mass and orbital balance

Post by Laurrie_Loz_Lozza »

hi there,
I know it would take a very long time for this to happen if at all possible.
The moon having not much of a mass for it's size, & there are similar celestial bodies the same size but with greater mass. How much Extra material if brought to the moon, and if this was placed in an un even manner, ie: a single area , would it take to eventually effect the stability of it's orbit ?
And in this same regard how much extra mass placed in the same manner effect the moon's non rotational aspects, meaning that it would start to rotate due to the weight/mass placed in one area, just as a ball would roll over till (like on earth) it shifted to point to the general direction of a greater gravitational force ie: the closest gravitational force on the moon being earth ?
I would be looking over centuries of off moon mass being brought to the moon.
sorry if this is a stupid question but I am curious.
Thanks.
Lozza
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Moon mass and orbital balance

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Laurrie_Loz_Lozza,

These forums are for students in grades K-12 (and their teachers and parents) who are working on hands-on science projects. Are you working on a student science project? If so, please tell us more about your project, including your hypothesis and what experiments you plan so we can help you. Otherwise, there are other sites on the net where your questions would be more appropriate.

Thank you,
Madeline

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”