Modified post: Zeolite synthesis from rice husk ash

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

plen17

Modified post: Zeolite synthesis from rice husk ash

Post by plen17 »

(This is a modified version of an earlier post I created)

Hello, I am a high school junior interested in conducting an experiment involving the synthesis of zeolites from rice husk ash. So far my research has indicated that I need to use a hydrothermal reaction to produce these zeolites, but I do not have access to an autoclave or a controlled heat source. My goal is to create a habitat for marine life that also adsorbs nitrate from water. This will require me to create a single mass of zeolites that has been molded into a particular shape.

My questions are as follows:
1. Where can I access 1 molar sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and aluminum oxide (Al₂O₃)? Can 1 molar sodium hydroxide be created from aqueous 0.1 molar sodium hydroxide?
2. Is an autoclave the only necessary machinery for a hydrothermal reaction? Where can I access an autoclave?
3. How can I shape the zeolite's growth? Would a mold be sufficient or is a process similar to extrusion necessary?

I would appreciate your support, but I recognize that I may not receive all the answers to my questions. Additionally, if it is required that I conduct this experiment in a lab, do you have any advice on who to contact?

Thank you for your time!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”