Baking soda and vinegar rate of reaction question pls help!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

spideysense

Baking soda and vinegar rate of reaction question pls help!!!

Post by spideysense »

Hello!

I am attempting to find the rate of reaction between a baking soda and vinegar reaction. I have five concentrations and I diluted them all using the diluting formula and subtracted the initial volume from my total volume solution to get the volume of water. The way I did my experiment was by filling a balloon with baking soda and then having a water and acetic acid solution in a plastic water bottle. I dumped the baking soda-filled balloon over the water bottle and measured the duration of the reaction based on how long it took for the balloon to inflate. Considering each concentration I had would keep getting diluted, evidently, the last balloon inflated for the least amount of time. My problem now is that while calculating the rate (I am doing the concentration of each solution divided by the average time of three trials for each of the five concentrations) I am getting a rate of reaction that is increasing when my concentration decreased. This does not make sense. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong here. Also, I kept acetic acid as my limiting reagent.

Thanks!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”