Materials Science - point me in the right direction?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

lmr28

Materials Science - point me in the right direction?

Post by lmr28 »

Hi - I'm an adult, not trained in science. This is probably not the ideal place for me to ask but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to make something that will bend wire a certain way. I don't think I need to get into a lot of the detail here, but I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows of a forum where I can ask someone with expertise, or even what branch of science it falls under...I assume materials science but I'm not even sure. It has to do with wire strength, it's elasticity or lack thereof. Its nothing overly complicated either...just trying to do something that I think is probably simple but it's not quite working and I'm not sure who to ask for help. Thanks in advance!
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Materials Science - point me in the right direction?

Post by audreyln »

Hello,

As you mentioned, ScienceBuddies is for helping students with their science fair projects. Your question may be related to material science but I'm unaware of any special forums. You might consider looking for a "Maker" type forum, Reddit may be a good place to find other curious, smart people with expertise.

Good luck,

Audrey
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Materials Science - point me in the right direction?

Post by bfinio »

Hi lmr28 - jumping in and seconding Audrey's suggestion for Reddit, which has various specialized subreddits where you can ask questions. But I'd recommend reading their specific rules and making sure you "do your homework" first, as sometimes they can be a little hostile to people who are just looking for a quick and easy answer. StackExchange is another good Q&A site that has various sub-sites for different technical fields: https://stackexchange.com/sites.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”