HELP! Absorption of Radiant Energy by Different Colors

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

IvyYang

HELP! Absorption of Radiant Energy by Different Colors

Post by IvyYang »

I am doing the experiment named Absorption of Radiant Energy by Different Colors for my science fair project (link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... rs#summary) and I have a few questions.

First, the part of the world where I live in does not receive a lot of sunlight. So would the colored squared still have detectable temperature differences if there is little sunlight? If not, could I use incandescent lights instead by hanging them just over the colored squares? Would that affect the experiment in any way?

Also, I have noticed that the infrared thermometer I bought does not display temperatures very accurately. Is there away I can measure the temperature of the squares without an infrared thermometer?

Thank you!
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP! Absorption of Radiant Energy by Different Colors

Post by bfinio »

Hi Ivy,

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. I have not tested it myself but I believe you should be able to use an incandescent light bulb for this experiment. A higher wattage bulb will probably give a bigger effect (e.g. 100W, 150W, or even a 250W heat lamp). You do not want to use a CFL or LED bulb since they don't emit a full spectrum of light.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the infrared thermometer "does not display temperatures very accurately"? How exactly have you tested it? I think they are the best option for measuring the temperature of a flat surface like you're doing in this experiment, the other cheap options I'm aware of are designed to measure air temperature or a liquid, not a solid surface.

Thanks,

Ben

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”