ANY DEEP TOPIC NEEDED HERE!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Feanot

ANY DEEP TOPIC NEEDED HERE!!

Post by Feanot »

Dear everyone,

I really really need a big topic to do my IB chem extended essay for 4000 words... anyone? thanks so much
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Post by barretttomlinson »

You did not say what your educational level is(high school?) or what your interests are, and this forum is really to support high school science fair participants, not to help on homework assignments.

Some topics you might consider are:

Survey the methods used to isolate and purify elements of the periodic table. Which ones are general enough to use on several elements?

The first step in the study of chemical compounds is usually to obtain a pure sample. In the real world most substances are complex mixtures. Survey the techniques for separating pure compounds out of mixtures. Which techniques are most useful for commonly encountered problems and why do they work?

Consider the phenomenon of allotropy. What is it? How many elements have multiple allotropic forms? What causes allotropy? How do the allotropic forms differ in chemical reactivity? How do you convert one form to another?

One key to finding a good paper topic is to find something that really interests you and that you have the resources and time to really investigate.

These topics are all really huge. Whole books could be written about each of them. I have suggested them only because they interest me. You need to find a topic that fascinates you.

I would love to hear what topic you finally choose and how your paper turns out. Good luck and have fun!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”