testing vitamin c

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Louise
Former Expert

Re: What is in a starch solution??

Post by Louise »

jamestheconfused wrote:Hello there,

I am really confused by this whole project with the vitamin C thing. What is a starch solution????? I was told it was baking soda with water but it never mixed properly so the whole this was a flop! Please help and tell me what a starch solution is.[/b]
Who told you starch was baking soda?

This is starch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch

There is no way that the experiment will work with baking soda, as it is completely the wrong chemical.

Louise
mathisfun

testing vitamin C in orange juice

Post by mathisfun »

Donna, your answers are great!!! I am doing that project as well and my experiment went well, but I do not understand how to determine how many mg of vitamin C I had in each juice. I made my starch solution and tested my control of Vitamin C and then 4 different types of orange juice. I counted the number of drops it took for the color to change, but I do not understand how to take my experiment and determine the mg of Vitamin c from my results. Do you have a formula I can use?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Jon
I have tested for vitamin C with iodine but do not know how to figure out how many mg of Vitamin C with the number of drops - do you have a formula?

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”