hedgehog signalling pathway

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
janani10786

hedgehog signalling pathway

Post by janani10786 »

hello everybody,
I am planning to do some insilico analysis of Hedgehog signalling pathway which pays role in embryogenesis and sometimes in tumor also...
Could nayone pls help me with wht kind of work can be donw with it and how to start with..
Thanks in advance.
hhemken
Former Expert

big project

Post by hhemken »

I assume you are already familiar with these:

http://hedgehog.sfsu.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog_signaling_pathway

If you need to devise a project, carry it out, analyze the results, and present at a science fair in less than a month, you have a lot of work ahead of you. You need to decide what it is you are interested in, what tools you have at your disposal, what you can reasonably learn to do in about a week or so, and then develop an appropriate project.

Do you already know how to analyze gene or protein sequences? Were you planning on doing lab work? What specific aspects of the Hedgehog signaloing pathway are you interested in?
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum
janani10786

Post by janani10786 »

Hi,
thanks a lot for the reply. I feel already a extensive analysis has been done on the pathway..I would like to do something new and different. I do know gene and protein analysis.

What other projects could be done in genome analysis
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Post by carolinethorn »

Hi,

Have you looked at some of the suggested genomics projects on the Science Buddies website - they might be a useful place to develop ideas from.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

Even though the hedgehog signaling pathway has been studied fairly extensively there are still some projects that you could do. I was thinking that it might be interesting to look at some of the databases of microarray expression data and find how many different conditions or treatments act on the hedgehog pathway and what the neighbouring or intersecting pathways are. This would involve finding out which genes are involved and which probes on the arrays correspond to those and then searching through the arrays to find data. Then you could Look at the arrays with a pathway software to see what other pathways interconnect with hedgehog as predicted by the array data. It might take some background to come up with a good hypothesis from my vague idea but i think we could do it but it might be tricky if you really only have a month.

Another possibilty would be to look for hedgehog homologues in different genomes - this is a bit like one of the projects on the science buddies website.

Best of luck,
Caroline

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”