Heart rates

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
PLE

Heart rates

Post by PLE »

In a science fair project can pulses be taken by the volunteers asked to participate - as in self regulated ?
PLE

Heart Rates

Post by PLE »

Hi - Is the expert going to answer this question? I do not know how this discussion psoting works - Thanks !!
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Heart Rates

Post by Louise »

PLE wrote:Hi - Is the expert going to answer this question? I do not know how this discussion psoting works - Thanks !!
We are volunteers here. Someone should be checking the board at least once a day, but we are in all different time zones. You should have an reply within 24-36 hours, given the cycle. Freqeuntly it is much less than that, but don't expect an instantaneous answer.

I don't understand what you are asking. Is this an ethical qeustion about human subjects? Is this a method question- are you concerned that your volunteers cannot do the measurement, or what?

You'd probably would get more accurate results if a few well trained people performed all the tests, but I don't know how far off people might be with counting themselves.

Louise
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HeatherL »

Hi,

It is perfectly fine to ask your subjects to monitor their own pulses during an experiment. It is a relatively easy measurement for someone to take. However, I agree with Louise that the results will be more standardized if you have one or two people taking it for your subjects instead. In particular, depending on your experiment, what people are doing or thinking can alter their heart rates, so asking them to check their own pulses may change your results slightly!

Depending on your project, you could also look into heart rate monitors. "Polar" makes simple heart rate monitors with a wrist watch to report the rate. If you are having your subjects perform exercise or do any major activity, heart rate monitors may be the way to go.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Heather

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”