Excessive water loss during incubation of agar plate

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
saternet

Excessive water loss during incubation of agar plate

Post by saternet »

Hello there,

I am conducting an experiment on growing skin bacteria. For about 3 days, I incubated my streaked plates (informally streaked, I just swabbed it in a predictable pattern with a sterile applicator) at 20C for 72 hours. I saw no growth so I took it and incubated it since 35 hours ago (it is still being incubated) at about 35 - 39C. however, I am seeing a LOAD of condensation on my petri lids. Quite a bit of moisture is collecting on the lids (of course I incubated them upside down). I am using standard nutrient agar and incubated my plates right after the 20C incubation period. Is this normal, or preventable? I plan to incubate my plates for about 24 more hours. Will my agar dry out?

Thanks!
drhamill
Former Expert

Post by drhamill »

Saternet,
Yes, it is very common to get condensation on the lids of your plates. You were right to incubate the plates upsidedown; if the condensation falls onto the agar, it can streak and mess up the bacteria. Plates can become too dry, especially in an incubator. I would recommend that you put your plates into sandwhich baggies. They'll still get condensation, but should dry out less overall. (p.s. Before flipping a plate right side up if there is a lot of condensation, I'd recommend giving the lid a quick shake over a sink.)
Good luck!

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”