m&m survival challenge

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
ens

m&m survival challenge

Post by ens »

I did the experimeny but the results turned out wierd. The subjects ate the M&M's that were the same color of the paper(habitat). The camouflage did not work with the 1st trial. I don't know how to explain why that happened. On my second trial my hypothesis was confirmed by the M&M's that were the same color of the paper(habitat) did not get eaten or eaten a lot. PLEASE HELP MY PROJECT IS DUE SOON AND I CAN"T FIGURE IT OUT. Thanks for you help.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

ens,

I would reccomend repeating your experiment a couple of more times if possible. Variation is an important part of science, and this is what you are experinceing. Try running your experiment again and see what happens.
All the best,
Terik
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

I agree with Terik, run the experiment several more times and see how the camouflaged M&Ms do on average.

That said--what do you think explains your results? What color construction paper did you use? Did it closely match the colors of the M&Ms, or was it different? Were people deliberately picking out the M&Ms that matched the paper because they 'knew' what was supposed to happen in the experiment? What were the lights like? Did the M&Ms cast shadows on the paper? If so, how well camouflaged do you think they really were?

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”