How do I test for sugar in a product

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
matypatty

How do I test for sugar in a product

Post by matypatty »

How do I test for sugar in a product :roll:
Louise
Former Expert

Re: How do I test for sugar in a product

Post by Louise »

matypatty wrote:How do I test for sugar in a product :roll:

You have posted in a computer science forum. I suggest you repost in either the physical science forum or the life sciences forum depending on what your "product" is. You need to post in detail what you want to test, because obviously the testing protocols for coke are different from cake. Generally, it is a good idea to post what you project is, what your hypothesis is, and what specifically you are having problems with. You should have already done some research, so you should have some ideas about how to test sugar content. The more work/research you show you've done, the better the help you get.

There is a procedure for testing sugar content in liquids on this site. Go to the project ideas and looking under the physics topics.

Louise
Lise Byrd
Former Expert

Post by Lise Byrd »

Liquids can be tested for sugar using Benedict's solution. There is a brief description of how it is used here:
http://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/p ... nedict.pdf

You could also use Benedict's solution if you wanted to test the sugar content of a solid that can be dissolved in water.

Hope this helps!
Sonia
matypatty

Post by matypatty »

Thanks so much I have orded one :D
Mathew
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

matypatty wrote:Thanks so much I have orded one :D
Read that sheet carefully, because it only indicates the presences of some "sugars" and not table sugar. Depending on what sweetner you are trying to test, it may not work. Comparing different sweetners may not be a good idea- you should probably do controls to make sure that say 5 gm/mL glucose and fructose give the same color. It will also change color for aldehydes and not just monosaccarides (simple sugars)

Caution: If your reagent contains sodium hydroxide, use extreme care as it can be very caustic and can cause severe burns. Also, you need to dispose of the waste as chemical waste- these solutions cannot be poured down the drain. Do not use any items intended for food use with this procedure.

Louise

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”