Writing a website with passwords

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

AlexTheCurious

Writing a website with passwords

Post by AlexTheCurious »

I need a project for computer camp. I tried one that didn't work and found the one on passwords. It says that you could make a website that the program can hack into? How do I do that? I want to work with a team and making a website and a program to hack into it seems great! Any ideas?
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Writing a website with passwords

Post by bfinio »

Hi Alex - if you don't have any experience making websites yet then this might not be a good project as it's sort of advanced. Are there adults at the computer camp who you could ask for help?
AlexTheCurious

Post by AlexTheCurious »

Thanks for the reply bfinio. I had hoped that someone here had some idea. I've written tons of websites. I'm really good with HTML and CSS. What I don't know is how to write a program that can log into a website? Can you help me?
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi Alex - ah, that's a different story then. I was worried you had no experience with websites at all and was trying to politely say "um, you need to learn HTML first."

I'm actually a mechanical engineer and don't have a ton of experience with web design or programming. My first guess would be to see if there's a way that you can make a program simulate use of the keyboard and mouse to click on text boxes in a website and enter a password. For example if I google "python mouse click" this is the first hit:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/118 ... ith-python

I'm not sure if there's a more direct, less brute-force way to do that (that method would depend on knowing the physical location of the text boxes on the screen).

With any project like this, Google is your friend - search for what you need and you will probably find example code or forums that are more dedicated to computer science topics (like StackExchange) where you can get more help. With such forums, it's always best to show people that you've "done your homework," started to research the problem yourself, and got stuck and are asking for help. The more background information you give, the more they'll be able to help you.

Good luck!

Ben
AlexTheCurious

Post by AlexTheCurious »

Thanks. I've been reading about this all weekend. I hoped that there'd be some help here but I appreciate your suggestions. Googling it is! :)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”