Please suggest some science fair experiments for high school

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

KingPtolemy
Project Question: Please suggest some science fair experiments for high school using Python programming
Project Due Date: November, 15, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Please suggest some science fair experiments for high school

Post by KingPtolemy »

I would like to try my hand at computer simulation using python and I'm good at science (physics, biology - it could be anything), please give me some suggestions so I can come up with a really cool science fair project . Thanks in advance.
vysarge
Former Expert
Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Please suggest some science fair experiments for high sc

Post by vysarge »

Hello KingPtolemy!

Computer simulation is a really cool field, and I'm glad you're interested in it!

There are computer simulations for essentially every kind of scientific field. In biology, computer simulations often involve the movement of molecules through cells, or the actions of cells; for example, some simulations show diffusion of ions across the cell membrane. Some biology simulations also involve changes in populations; for example, it's possible to use exponential functions, logarithms or trigonometric functions to model a rabbit population over several years. In physics and chemistry, a lot of simulations involve particle motion.

The kind of computer simulation that you choose would really depend on what you're interested in. Are there particular fields that appeal to you?

Good luck with finding a good idea!
VYSarge
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
KingPtolemy
Project Question: Please suggest some science fair experiments for high school using Python programming

Post by KingPtolemy »

I'd like to use a simulation to study something using phylogenetic trees. For example, diseases or genes. Thanks for your help!
vysarge
Former Expert

Post by vysarge »

Hello,

So, essentially, you're interested in modeling changes in genetics over long periods of time and/or comparing genetic sequences for similarities and differences, right? By diseases, I'm guessing you mean genetic ones, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

If you want to examine different genetic sequences for similarities and differences, I would recommend using a phylogenetic comparative method (PCM). I've seen some good things about one called the Goloboff method, and there's a free program called TNT (you can find information here and a download link here) that you can download and use for your analysis.

Hope this helped!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
KingPtolemy

Post by KingPtolemy »

Yes, I meant genetic diseases. I'll look into the links you provided and reach out for you if I need more help. Thanks.
vysarge
Former Expert

Post by vysarge »

Hello,

You're welcome! If you have any additional questions or need any more help, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Richard Feynman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”