Interface Design Help!

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

es8443
Project Question: My topic is figuring out how to design an interface so that both experts and novices can use it effectively.
Project Due Date: I can begin collecting data on 11/15
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Interface Design Help!

Post by es8443 »

My project involves how to design an interface so that both experts and novices can use it effectively without loss of functionality for the expert or there being a huge learning curve for the novice. I am planning to use an application I will create using Android App Inventor to test my interface. However, I have been running into some roadblocks when it came to figuring out how to execute this well. I've come across a few techniques (scaffolding is the one that springs to mind), but I would like some tips from someone who has worked in the field on techniques to use and ideas on how to implement them.

Thank you!
hhemken
Former Expert

Re: Interface Design Help!

Post by hhemken »

es8443,

Does it have to be an Android app? If you were to do a web page, there are far more resources to help you, none of the app-specific practical issues, and you'll still be able to view it on any mobile device.

Doeas that start to address your question?

Good luck,

Heinz Hemken
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum
es8443
Project Question: My topic is figuring out how to design an interface so that both experts and novices can use it effectively.

Post by es8443 »

It doesn't have to be an Android App, but I have experience with Android App Inventor and it is very easy to create interfaces. It's also free, which helps.
I perhaps was not clear, but I am having problems with this across the board. I am not looking specifically for Android App resources and I'm sure I would be having a much harder time in my research if I were. I am looking generally for anything having to do with novices and experts using interfaces. I have found a lot of information about data analysis and what to test for, but not a lot about how to make the interface good. If it turns out that using AAI isn't going to work, I still need resources on how to make it easy for experts and novices to navigate interfaces which is the main sticking point with my project. If you have any to recommend or any places to look to recommend, they would be much appreciated!
hhemken
Former Expert

Post by hhemken »

es8443,

Got it. I would recommend a couple of things. First, google something like this:

Code: Select all

interface design novices experts
Second, I would suggest you use the simplest possible platform, such as a web page or a set of web pages. That way you don't get bogged down by extraneous technical issues.

What do you think?

Heinz Hemken
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum
es8443

Post by es8443 »

I have tried most combinations of those search strings plus a few others ("human computer interaction(s)" being the main one). I have found a few research papers that have been somewhat helpful in terms of giving me things to test and ways to analyze my data and a few interface design guidelines, but nothing specific on my topic as of yet.

AAI, in my experience, is very simple. If I have problems with getting it to do what I want to do then I will switch to a webpage or to something in Java, if possible. However, the bulk of the issue is not which platform I choose to do my project on as the design principals for all should be similar. The problem is that for no platform (as I have not been searching under specific platform) are there guidelines for how to design an interface that will be able to be used by both experts and novices with as little loss of functionality as possible.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”