Microsoft Excel Help *URGENT*

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

Espike
Project Question: Protein similarities between different species
Project Due Date: 12/18/13
Project Status: I am just starting

Microsoft Excel Help *URGENT*

Post by Espike »

If I need to add data from different columns horizontally in microsoft excel, how would I do that?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Microsoft Excel Help *URGENT*

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. I am assuming you have something like this: data in column A, data in column B, and you wish to add A1+B1, A2+B2, etc (and this applies for however many columns of data you have).

Easy! Let's continue with what I have above, and you want the sum to appear in Column C. In C1, type: =sum(A1:B1)
After typing, press enter. The total should appear.

If you have multiple rows of data, you don't need to type each individual row. That would be extremely tedious, and Excel will do the work for you. After completing cell C1, hover the mouse (without clicking) in the lower right corner of cell C1. Your cursor should change to a + sign. This is the "autofill" feature. Once the + sign appears, double click. The formulas should autopopulate down the column as long as you have data in columns A and B. Alternatively, once the + sign appears, single click and hold the mouse button, and drag down as many rows as you have data in.

This might be easier to understand visually. Check out this tutuorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmeRPJ5sG9o

I hope this helps. If you have further questions or if I misunderstood your question, feel free to write back.

Good luck!
Deana
Deana

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”