Cracking the Password Help?

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

realityhitshard
Project Question: Create a group of password hacking programs to see which one can crack the password the fastest.
Project Due Date: 1/2/15
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Cracking the Password Help?

Post by realityhitshard »

I'm doing my science fair project on the effect of different password cracking programs on how long it takes to crack the password. The science buddies guide on this: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p046.shtml does it in Python. I don't know much about Python, but I do know a lot about Java. Is there any way I can do this program in java? And how exactly would I be able to run the java program on my chrome browser so I can hack into my own email?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Cracking the Password Help?

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. I'm sure you could write a similar program in any programming language. You would simply need to take the python strategy (or your own!) and translate it into java syntax (or whatever programming language you wish to use).

As far as running it in the chrome browser to hack into your email, I am not familiar enough with java to answer. I would like to offer a word of caution. Hacking into your own email is not illegal. However, if you publish your code, others could use it maliciously to hack into emails other than their own; and that is illegal. I know that wouldn't be your intention of publishing the code for the purpose of a science fair. However, you can't control what others would use it for.

You can still perform this science project and publish without concerns as long as you don't publish how to run it in chrome to hack into email. And, this would be an excellent point of discussion as to how cracking passwords can be dangerous / illegal.

Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”