Calculus problem computer engineer would solve

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

dagundez

Calculus problem computer engineer would solve

Post by dagundez »

My AP Calculus teacher has a working on our finals where we have choose a specific profession to research and learn how calculus us applied specifically in that field. I chose computer hardware engineer but I can't find a specific calculus problem that they would solve. What kind of calculus problem would computer hardware engineers solve?

Thanks,
David
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Calculus problem computer engineer would solve

Post by tdaly »

Hi David,

Here's an example: Computer hardware designers work very hard to design computers that will keep computer processors cool. Most laptops have something called a heat sink that helps to transfer heat from the processor out into the environment. This helps keep the computer from overheating and, as a result, breaking down. Mathematically, heat transfer is described using differential equations, which are then manipulated and solved using calculus. So, if you were a computer hardware engineer designing heat sinks, you would use calculus to figure out how heat is transferred through the heat sink into the computer's surroundings.

You can learn more about heat sinks here:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/heat-sink.htm
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”