Crack2.py page isn't working

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

danes7

Crack2.py page isn't working

Post by danes7 »

My partner and I attempted to set up a Crack2.py for our science fair this year, and are having some difficulty. We are new to coding, and we are hoping to receive some help from someone who has an idea of where to start. Thank you for your time
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Crack2.py page isn't working

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Danes,
Welcome to Science Buddies - and thank you for your patience. I asked a Python-enthusiast to help get you started. Here are his suggestions: Please let us know if this helps, and, if you have more questions!

Since you are new to coding and you did not give a lot of information on what steps you have completed thus far, I will run the very first steps to get you started. Some of these may seem silly, but they are easy to overlook.
1. This may seem silly, but have you installed Python 3? I am not sure how to check for Mac. If you are on Windows, go to your start menu, and search for Python 3.6. If you don’t see this, you can try going to Control Panel > Programs and Features and look for Python in the list. If you don’t see it in the list, then you may not have it installed. Go to www.python.org to download and install Python 3.6.
2. Now we know we have Python installed. Search for IDLE, the text editor that comes packaged in with Python. Search for IDLE in your windows start menu or in the Mac Omni-Search and open the editor.
3. We now know how to open IDLE, but did you remember to download crack2.py? If you didn’t download it yet, you can download it from the Materials page on the Project page. Click the link that says crack2.py. Once you download it, it should appear in your downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it). Remember the location of the file! For example, mine downloads to my Downloads folder.
4. Now open the file in IDLE. Go to File > Open … and select crack2.py from the file picker.
5. Once crack2.py is open in IDLE, go to Run > Run Module in the menu bar. Once you click this, IDLE will run the script.
You can then begin to edit crack2.py with IDLE and try running your edited version. I encourage you to run through the project procedures before making your own changes to the file. If you haven’t yet made a lab notebook, you should! Run through the first few steps with filling out the tables and making the graphs. These will help you understand the code. In addition, the later steps in the procedure will explain snippets of code that may be confusing if you don’t fully read and understand the procedures up until that point.
This is my best guess on how to get you started running crack2.py. If you are still having problems, reply to this post and explain what issues you are facing. Are you getting error messages? If yes, tell us what the error messages say! Are you confused about specific steps in the script? If yes, tell us which steps are confusing. Be sure to be as specific as possible. It helps me help you.
Good luck!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”