Statistics

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

NickPick

Statistics

Post by NickPick »

Can statistical ideas be used as a substitute for experiments?
hglanz
Former Expert

Re: Statistics

Post by hglanz »

Hi NickPick! Thanks for posting on Science Buddies.

That's a little too general/vague a question to answer, but my initial answer is no. In fact experiments are heavily involved in statistics themselves. Simulation can sometimes be used as a surrogate for experiments, but it still depends on what you're doing.

Could you explain in more detail what you mean by "statistical ideas" and what you have in mind for substituting them for experiments?
NickPick

Post by NickPick »

Hello, hglanz. Thanks for the answer.

In fact, it's not my question. This is the question I encountered when I was preparing for my English math exam at my university (English is not my native language). So I've got confused as you did. This question was out of context. I should also add that my English teacher is not very good at math (especially statistics). So now I wonder what my reply is supposed to be. There's also going to be a mathematician at the exam so my answer must be reasonable.
hglanz
Former Expert

Post by hglanz »

I see. Two things:

1) I'm still unsure what to say about the question. You have not included any other information or context.

2) Science Buddies is meant more for offering advice and guidance on Math and Science projects, and NOT for helping with homework or exam preparation. I'm sorry.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to post again. Thanks!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”